Finally, the Android 5 Lolipop Nexus 4 Factory image LRX21T was released by Google! So you can now update to a clean system. However unless you want to backup and restore all your data, or trust the G-cloud to restore your data back to your Nexus 4, you will need to wait for the over-the-air update (OTA). This will enable you to upgrade in one foul swoop, with your data in place.
However, it will take a few weeks for this to trickle out to all handsets, networks and countries. What if you want it, now, now, now?
The answer – ‘sideload’ an over the air update – rather than wait for it to come to you!
This works on an un-rooted, unmodded or custom-recovery Nexus 4 (i.e. stock) running Android KitKat 4.4.4 KTU84P.
Here is the process:
- Download this zip file of the Google OTA update (via this Reddit thread)
- Install ADB on your Mac or PC (if not already installed)
- Check you can communicate with your Nexus via the USB cable (after enabling debug mode on the Nexus) – instructions at end of advice for 2A or 2B.
- Follow these instructions from droid-life.com to sideload the zip file to your Nexus 4
This is my experience:
- Zip File (interesting to note 13 November 2014 modified date). Re-named it to 5l.zip:
- ADB Test and Sideload Mac OS X terminal commands :
- Updating progress on Nexus 4 screen:
- Update complete and ready for restarting:
- Android 5 Lollipop starting up (this takes about 10 minutes first time):
- Running Android 5 Lollipop with all Apps, Data and personal settings intact:
These instructions also be adapted for your specific Nexus device – you will just need to find your OTA zip file for your specific device.
- Reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/nexus4/comments/2mghbw/ota_link_update_to_lrx21t_from_ktu84p/
- WonderHowTo http://htc-one.wonderhowto.com/how-to/install-adb-fastboot-mac-os-x-send-commands-your-htc-one-0151178/
- Dottech http://dottech.org/21534/how-to-install-adb-and-fastboot-on-your-windows-computer-for-use-with-your-android-phone/
- Droid-Life http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/12/guide-how-to-use-adb-sideload-to-update-a-nexus-without-root-or-custom-recovery/
- Nexus Factory Images: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images